It was a tough week for picking college games. I went 1-4 and now have a 23-14 record.
I did better on the pro game vs the point spread. I went 5-0 with Indy covering but losing. I now am 19-8 against the spread.
Cowgirl Owner Jerry Jones fired HC Phillips.
JJ finally had enough of the way the Girls were playing and fired the head cheerleader HC Wade Phillips. The 45-7 loss last week to the Packers on Sunday night football was the last straw. OC Garrett is now temporary HC. The team had quit on the coaching staff and that included the O under Garrett. The Girls will not be Boys again until JJ gives up meddling with the team and turns over the football operations to someone that knows what they are doing.
#3 TCU 47 #5 Utah 7 – This was a landslide from the kickoff. As I predicted, Utah was badly over rated. TCU moved over Boise State in the latest BcS rankings to 3rd overall. If either Oregon or Auburn fall, TCU will be in the big game.
#10 LSU 24 #6 Alabama 21 – A 4th down trick play and the LSU D holding Bama RB Ingram to 97 yards was all it took to beat #6 at home. With 2 losses, Bama is out of the SEC Championship game and the national title hunt.
#7 Nebraska 31 Iowa State 30 – The three consecutive games against top 25 teams showed in the play of the Huskers. While they got lucky to get the win, they are still in the Big 12 Championship game picture. Iowa State is not a team any bowl opponent will look forward to finding on their schedule.
Texas A&M 33 #8 Oklahoma 19 – The first Oklahoma snap went out of the endzone for a safety. A&M scored a TD after the free kick and the game went down hill after that. Injuries have hurt this team but not enough to explain the problems they are having.
Texas Tech 24 #12 Missouri 17 – Missouri is in misery. The loss to Nebraska took the air out of this team. They started fast but when Tech got their O rolling, the Tigers could not respond. They are in free fall and could lose 1 or 2 more.
#16 Iowa 18 Indiana 13 – Iowa does not play well on the road. They were also recovering from physical games in the last few weeks. They had to come from behind to beat the Hoosiers, a team they should have beaten easily. They will have to play better to beat Ohio State in two weeks.
Browns 34 Patriots 14 – This might be a transformational win for the Browns. If not, the coaching staff can put their houses up for sale.
Jets 23 Lions 20 OT – The Lions are getting better. The Jets have to improve their O.
Bears 22 Bills 19 – This was the sinker of the week and neither may win another game all year.
1. Ravens – The Ravens have the D and the O is developing nicely with the WR additions. If they can patch a D Backfield together, they will be in the Super Bowl.
2. Steelers – They handled a desperate Bagels team Monday night. They get #2 due to a couple of teams stumbling.
3. Jets – The Jets thought they had a couple of cupcakes in Detroit and Cleveland. Well, they were taken to overtime by the Lions and the Browns beat the Patriots soundly.
4. Giants – While the O is up and down, the D has really come on despite a number of injuries. This will be a tough out in the playoffs.
5. Falcons – The Falcons are perfect in the division and beat the Bucs.
Dropped out – Patriots – Even with the loss to the Browns the Pats are still just outside my top 5.
28. Cards – This team is a shadow of they club in the previous couple of years on both sides of the ball.
29. Broncos – Any team that gives up 59 points to the Raiders deserves to be in the bottom 5.
30. Panthers – HC Fox really doesn’t have much talent to work with.
31. Bills – The combination of the AFC and bad drafting has pushed the Bills into the basement.
32. Cowboys – JJ didn’t expect this when he talked about the Super Bowl in Dallas. They have yet to win in the new stadium.
That’s what I think. Tell me what you think.
Bill Smith is a former coach of several semi-pro teams, has officiated both football and basketball, done color on radio for college football and basketball and has scouted talent. He is a senior writer for and edits https://fryingpansports.com. His first non-fiction work is at the publisher now and he has also published several novels on
and edits .The Cowboys fire Phillips and other failures this past week. by Steven R