It is time again for my fearless attempt (note: no dart boards were injured during this exercise) to predict the outcome of the 2011 NFL Season. I know that some of you will doubt my crystal ball but it seldom fails me (except when it needs repair which happens around this time every year).
- Pats –
This team has struggled in the playoffs but always has a great regular
season. This year it will get to the AFC
- Jets – I wonder how good the O will be because I
am not sold on QB Sanchez.
- Dolphins – This team is without a QB and it will
show. Daboll is the OC which is good
news for the TE’s.
- Bills – This team is going to be in the running
for the 1st pick QB Luck. But
will they be willing to pay enough to sign him if they get the 1st
- Steelers – They have a D older than the “over
the hill gang” of Redskin fame and the window to winning is closing because of
- Ravens – They just can’t seem to find a way beat
the Steelers and they will not this year.
- Browns – They can be 8-8 or better IF they can
keep QB McCoy healthy. Otherwise 3-13.
- Bengals – This team is in serious trouble with a
new QB and questions about their D.
- Texans – The team has a great running game to go
with an outstanding passing attack. The
only question is their D. Williams as
- Colts – The latest on QB Manning is that he will
be out for a couple of months. They
could end up with a top 5 draft pick in 2012 without him.
- Titans – RB Johnson is the key. The O line has to give him just a step and he
can go all the way. The D and passing
attacks keep them from contending.
- Jags – Look for this team to be the first choice
to move to LA. The city is in a
financial hole and the team is bereft of talent.
- Chargers – This team can not possibly get off to
as bad a start as they have for the last couple of years. Any improvement in their start will vault
them into the playoffs.
- Chiefs – QB Cassel is hurt and the running game
alone can not make up for a porous D.
- Raiders – I am the only one they did not call to
play QB. Key losses cannot be overcome.
- Broncos – This team has a long way to go to
- Eagles – The team has gone all out to win this
year. QB Vick will not have as good a
year as 2010 but the D is better and this is the year. If not, HC Reid is gone.
- Giants – QB Manning is not as good as most think
and that again prevents them from getting far in the post season.
- Cowboys – Owner Jones is still looking for a HC
that can win. The problem is JJ is the
GM and this team is not that good.
- Redskins – Another team without a QB. McNabb was not the answer. If HC Shanahan doesn’t find the answer soon
he will be gone as well.
- Packers – Despite a flurry of injuries last year
the team made the playoffs and won it all.
Those wounded players are back and the team is better than last year.
- Lions – No one is going to want to face the D
front this season. If QB Stafford stays
healthy this team can get into the playoffs.
- Bears – HC Smith will likely be replaced if they
slip below the Lions. Bye Lovie.
- Vikings – The window is now closed on this team
- Saints – They will lose game 1 vs the Pack but
still win the division. Sproles will
help this team.
- Falcons – Their time will come next year but
they still have some issues on D.
- Bucs – This is the best 3rd place
team in the league. They will challenge
the Falcons next season.
- Panthers – They had the top pick and I am not
sure they used it wisely. While QB Newton
will improve this year will he ever be willing to pay the price to become a top
- Rams – The D is much better and the O behind QB
Bradford will flourish.
- Cardinals – QB Kolb will make this team better
but not enough to overtake the Rams.
- 49ers – QB Smith is a white flag indicating this
team might be looking to bring Stanford QB Luck to the team next year.
- Seahawks – This is a bad team without a QB. Jackson couldn’t make it in MN with the best
RB in the league so how will he do here?
It won’t be pretty.
That’s what I think. Tell me what you think.
Bill Smith is a former coach of several semi-pro teams, has officiated both football and basketball, done color on radio for college football and basketball and has scouted talent.
He is a senior writer for and edits https://fryingpansports.com. He has also published several novels on
and a non-fiction work at http://www.merriam-press.com/.
He edits .
Also listen to the best Sports Talk anywhere on the Internet and hear his sports show Monday-Friday 6-8 PM EST on https://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/ or .