Here are some of my thoughts as the 1st round approaches. Enjoy the draft and GO BROWNS!
1. Draft day trade downs will not provide the bounty of picks that they have in the past. The Cowboy draft trade chart is history. Last year Oakland moved from 3 to 13 for just a 2nd round pick. That will be the norm rather than an exception.
2. Look for several trades in the first round. The new CBA makes moving up in the draft financially affordable. The lower cost in terms of picks makes getting your guy easier.
3. Several quarterbacks will be drafted particularly late in the first round. The new CBA gives teams a 5th year option on players selected in the 1st round. That makes a QB cheaper longer due to the lower rookie pay chart. Teams high in the 2nd round that passed on a QB with their 1st pick will want to trade back into the 1st to get their guy.
4. The Texans will not get 3 1st round picks for the #1 overall choice. They have been asking for that thinking they could get an RG3 type bounty for the choice. They will have to reduce their asking price significantly or keep the pick.
5. The NFL is a passing league. 7 wideouts will go in the 1st round.
6. Odell Beckham Jr. will be the 3rd WR off the board.
7. Teddy Bridgewater is much better than Derek Carr but will be pushed down the board due to a poor pro day. All I have to say is watch the game tape!
8. Derek Carr will go much higher than he should. I cannot explain that but he will. There are always teams that don’t do their homework.
9. Justin Gilbert will be the 3rd CB off the board. Both Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech and Darqueze Dennard Michigan State will go before him.
10. The “usual suspects” will make the same kind of dumb picks they have in the past. The biggest reason that some teams are constantly drafting in the top 10 is they make stupid moves. History will repeat itself again.
That is what I think. Tell us what you think.
NOTE: Check out the live News, Notes and Rumors show on Monday, Thursday and Friday at 6 PM Eastern on or https://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/. On Samantha Bunten of NBC Sports, former NFL scout Kelron Sykes and I talk NFL draft with just a little Indians and Cavs thrown in. The archive is available on https://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/. Please join us.
Bill Smith is a former coach of several semi-pro teams, has officiated both football and basketball, done color on radio for college football and basketball and has scouted talent. He edits https://fryingpansports.com. He has also published several novels on and a non-fiction work at http://www.merriam-press.com/. Follow him on twitter @NNRonDSN to get the schedule of Special News, Notes and Rumors broadcasts. You can hear the previous shows on https://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/ and the live show Mondays at 6 PM Eastern time on .
He also edits .
To keep up with the News, Notes & Rumors podcasts, follow me on twitter @NNRonDSN.
10 Things to look for in the 2014 NFL Draft by Bill Smith