NOTE: Today on NNR Tony Williams beat writer for Metro New York for both the Giants and Knicks joined me to review the Pro Football Talk totals for wins of each team.
For the Browns to go over 6 wins as predicted by PFT, several things are going to have to go their way.
5. The team can not have any injuries to the starters. This team has more depth than in past years but still is not deep enough to survive multiple injuries at any position.
4. The WR corps has to produce TD catches not just yards. I had as many TD receptions last season as Browns #1 WR Dwayne Bowe had. That is not a good thing.
3. The Browns running game has to take pressure off the QB and they have to hold onto the ball. I have a lot of hope for the running backs. But they have to produce 1st downs and not fumble.
2. The D has to stop the run. Last year the pass D was top 6. That was misleading because the Browns were among the worst against the run. They need to stop the run to allow the pass D to cause the picks that will turn a game around.
1. Josh McCown must have a very good year. Last year Tampa named McCown the starting QB early in training camp. He rewarded HC Lovie Smith by leading the team to the 1st pick overall in the 2015 draft. The QB play has been a disaster ever since the Browns came back in 1999. McCown has to produce points to give the Browns any chance to win 6+ games this year.
That is what I think. Tell us what you think by commenting here or tweeting me @NNRonDSN.
NOTE: News, Notes and Rumors podcast are BACK. Check out our thoughts on Fridays about the games coming up and Monday on the results of the weekend. My co-host is Samantha Bunten of NBC Sports. Podcasts can be heard on http://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/. Thanks for your support.
Bill Smith is a former coach of several semi-pro teams, has officiated both football and basketball, done color on radio for college football and basketball and has scouted talent. He edits http://fryingpansports.com. He has also published several novels on and a non-fiction work at http://www.merriam-press.com/. Follow him on twitter @NNRonDSN to get the schedule of Special News, Notes and Rumors broadcasts. You can hear the previous shows on http://fryingpansports.com/radio-show/.
He also edits http://fryingpanpolitics.org/.
To keep up with the News, Notes & Rumors podcasts, follow me on twitter @NNRonDSN.